-
School Road Cottage

School Road Cottages

Cottage in School Road: This was demolished in the 1960s; it is shown with its pump in Gordon Winter A Country Camera, one of the first books of old country photographs. (Houses in School Lane, Wellesbourne 1960s)(R. Smith Warwick County Planning Department Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/3)

Cottages In School Road

Cottages in School Road: Again demolished in the 1960s. The cottage nearest the camera had been a beerhouse in the early 19th century. The break in the street frontages marks the position of the Barracks which was set back from the road. (Houses in School Lane, Wellesbourne 1960s) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH352/193/18)

Wellesbourne Church

Wellesbourne Church

Church: Note the pinnacles, which were removed in the Second World War for aircraft safety. (Exterior of St. Peter’s Church, Wellesbourne 1920s )(Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/7)

Wellesbourne School Bonfire

School Bonfire

School bonfire: The man with a cap on the right of the picture is the dynamic and successful headmaster (from 1896 to 1936): Edward Frost (Wellesbourne school bonfire 1914) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH352/193/18)3)

Bridge Street

Bridge Street Shops - General Stores

Bridge Street shops: The nearest shop was then a general stores managed by G H Thomas who created the tea gardens on Warwick Road (see 25). Beyond it is the cycle shop run by Henry Turner which was to develop into Bridge Garage under his descendants, with a further general store beyond. Captain Pearson who owned the car lived in Church Street, as did his widow, a parish councillor, until after the war. The motor car which is standing outside the garage in Bridge Street, is a 14.4 H.P. Armstrong Siddeley which was registered by Mr T.S. Pearson of The Cottage, Wellesbourne, in 1924 (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/7)

Bridge Street

Bridge Street from Dog Close end: Unchanged views here except for the buildings ancillary to Wellesbourne Manor which project above its long wall, and had gone by the time the later photograph was taken. (Bridge Street, Wellesbourne 1910s )(Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/43)7)

Bridge Street

Bridge Street from Dog Close end: Unchanged views here except for the buildings ancillary to Wellesbourne Manor which project above its long wall, and had gone by the time the later photograph was taken. (Bridge Street looking towards Chestnut Square 1920s) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/21)

Women's Institute on Bridge Street

WI hut: This was an ex-army hut, the base for the very active WI until its move to the more solid Village Hall in 1962; also remembered as a lively scene of dances and film shows. The recently demolished Cole’s Garage, founded in 1924, may be seen at the end of the street on the right. (Bridge Street, Wellesbourne, including the Women’s Institute building 1920s )(Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/24)

Church Street

Church Street

Church Street from junction with Bridge Street plus tree: One of the more striking of the many trees in Wellesbourne Hastings. Emsdene, originally two 17th century cottages, progressing from farmhouse to butcher’s shop to gentleman’s residence, can just be seen behind the chestnut tree. Church Street, Wellesbourne 1910s (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/44

Church Street

Church Street looking towards School Road 1910s: This gives a good side view of the farmhouse shown in 10. Beyond it can just be seen the house which was the village police house until the 1880s and retained until demolition the barred windows of the room which was used as an overnight lock-up. ( Part of Church Street looking towards School Road, showing Currall, saddler and harness maker on the right, Wellesbourne 1910s (Edwards & Co Publishers Warwickshire County Record Office PH 350/2517)

Church Street

Church Street looking from King’s Head 1910s: The view is from the back of the King’s Head and shows how full of trees this part of the village then was. Just out of sight on the left was the former cockpit. (21 Church Street, Wellesbourne 1910s) (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/15)