-
Anslow's Grocers

Anslow's Grocer

Frederick Anslow succeeded his father in a long established business. Peaceful scene in the Warwick Road, with Anslow, grocer, on the right. (Wellesbourne 1920s) (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH350/2529)

Anslow's Grocers

Frederick Anslow’s shop which long doubled as the village post office with its post and telegraph boys outside. (View of Warwick Street, now Warwick Road, Wellesbourne. A group of men and boys are standing on the corner of the street. 1910s (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 350/25304)

Wellesbourne Inn

Wellesbourne Inn

The oldest pub in the village, beginning as the Wellesbourne Inn owned by the Lucys of Charlecote from its establishment in the mid-17th century until 1892; its stables can be seen on the right. The later village Mops (hiring fairs) were held on its land. Exterior of The King’s Head Hotel with the church behind. Wellesbourne 1920s (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 350/2527)

Tea Gardens

Tea Gardens

Tea gardens: Set up in the 1920s to attract the new Ordnance Survey carrying summer excursionists by G H Thomas, who in addition to managing the general stores in Bridge Street ran a garden design business which contributed to his displays. Converted in harsher times to the popular Fountain transport café. The Tea Gardens on the Warwick Road were a delightful place to have tea and cakes on a sunny afternoon, Wellesbourne. 1929 (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 350/2528)

The Talbot Hotel

The Talbot

The Talbot: Built as an inn in the early 18th century with a talbot (a now extinct breed of hound, used in heraldry) as its prominent sign, and much expanded in the 19th century when it competed energetically for trade with the King’s Head. It was owned by the Mordaunts of Walton, and their tenants paid their rents there. In the distance the war memorial can be seen in its original position on this tiny piece of ‘village green’ at the end of Warwick Road, watched over by Major Thesiger who lived in Emsdene (see 19). It was moved to the churchyard in 1947 as traffic became heavier. The Talbot Hotel, situated on the corner of the Warwick Road and Bridge Street, Wellesbourne. The girl with the bicycle was Christine Oldham (later Grantham). 1920s (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/23)

Central Cottages

Central Cottages

Central Cottages: Wellesbourne Hastings’ first council houses, built in 1922, at the same time as Granville Road in Wellesbourne Mountford, and perhaps photographed here because they were a new advance in housing for the village – a move away from the near-slum conditions in many of its areas. The railing to the left of the picture surrounded the war memorial (see 26) In the distance beyond the new houses there is a glimpse of Thorpe’s Garage and The Chestnuts, a typical late 18th century Warwickshire farmhouse. Semi-detached houses known as Central Cottages, Wellesbourne 1920s [These houses were built by a local builder called JT Thorpe in 1929] (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/34)

Draper's Shop And Grocers

Overbury's Drapers

Beyond the house where West’s bakery had been established in 1912 can be seen the draper’s shop run by successive generations of the Overbury family. The corner shop on the Warwick Road, Wellesbourne. Anslow the Grocer, was also the Post Office and Telegraph Office. 1910s (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/35)

Wellesbourne House

Wellesbourne House

Wellesbourne House: The house began life as a modest hunting box (The Lodge) built in 1819. Most later owners extended it and in the late 19th/early 20th century William Low, American and rich, made it into a mansion in size and in the lavishness of its entertainment. His estranged wife Daisy later founded the Girl Scouts in the USA. One of the family’s large collection of motor cars is in the foreground. Wellesbourne House, Wellesbourne 1910s (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office CR 2649/8)

Wellesbourne Hall

Wellesbourne Hall

Wellesbourne Hall: The house of c1690 was probably built by Robert Boyse and went on to be owned over two centuries by the Dewes/Granville family. It stood on or near the site of a much older manor house. The house was rescued from the threat of demolition in the 1950s, though the orangery shown in the picture was demolished as was the partly obscured 19th century service block on the right. Wellesbourne. Wellesbourne Hall. Rear of house and lawns (Warwickshire County Record Office PH(N)600/522/2)

Wellesbourne Hall

Wellesbourne Hall: The house of c1690 was probably built by Robert Boyse and went on to be owned over two centuries by the Dewes/Granville family. It stood on or near the site of a much older manor house. The house was rescued from the threat of demolition in the 1950s, though the orangery shown in the picture was demolished as was the partly obscured 19th century service block on the right. Wellesbourne. Wellesbourne Hall. Front of house (Warwickshire County Record Office PH(N)600/522/3)2/193/35)

Stratford Road Sign

Stratford Road Sign

Stratford Road sign: The view is over the field known as Kings Croft, a tantalising and unexplained name. Wellesbourne. Road into village. Church tower just visible (Warwickshire County Record Office PH(N)600/522/2)

We are very grateful for the additional information which has been provided by Rosalind and Peter Bolton

Please note that these images are copyright protected