-
Chestnut Square from Stratford Road

Chestnut Square

Chestnut Square from Stratford Road end: The Square is surrounded by 17th to 19th century houses from those of modest tradesmen to the almost great. (Chestnut Square, Wellesbourne 1920s) (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH 350/2523)

Chestnut Square from Stratford Road

Chestnut Square from Stratford Road end: The Square is surrounded by 17th to 19th century houses from those of modest tradesmen to the almost great. (Chestnut Square with the Stag’s Head on the right, Wellesbourne 1960) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/52).

Chestnut Square Tree and Pub

Chestnut Square tree and pub: The chestnut tree shown is the one under which in 1872 Joseph Arch from Barford addressed a considerable outdoor gathering of farm labourers, which led to the formation of their first trade union. Candles were stuck into its bark for illumination. The tree died in 1949 and has been twice replaced. (The Stag’s Head and chestnut tree, Wellesbourne June 6th 1939)

Chestnut Square Co Op

Chestnut Square from Chapel Street showing Co op: The Co-op (which closed around 1950) replaced a grocery first opened in 1886 in 13 Chestnut Square, originally one house with its neighbour, built in the mid-17th century. (Wellesbourne Bridge Street showing The Stags Head Inn and the Co-op Stores) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH(N)600/522/1)

Chestnut Street Coop

Chestnut Square from Chapel Street showing Co op: The Co-op (which closed around 1950) replaced a grocery first opened in 1886 in 13 Chestnut Square, originally one house with its neighbour, built in the mid-17th century. (Wellesbourne Bridge Street showing The Stags Head Inn and the Co-op Stores) (Warwickshire County Record Office PH(N)600/522/1)

Stag's Head Pub

Stag's Head Pub

Stag’s Head 1913/ 1920’s: The building dates from the early 17th century, pre-dating its use as a pub, which only began in 1837. It was run by the Baker family until 1975. (The Stag Inn, Wellesbourne 1913)(Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/21)2523)

Stags Head Pub

Stag’s Head 1913/ 1920’s: The building dates from the early 17th century, pre-dating its use as a pub, which only began in 1837. It was run by the Baker family until 1975. (The Stags Head in Wellesbourne, a thatched, timber framed building standing on the corner of Bridge Street and Church Walk 1920s) (Antona – Warwickshire County Record Office PH 352/193/30)

Wellesbourne Barracks

The Barracks

The Barracks: Until demolition in the1960s The Barracks in School Road was one of the oldest buildings in the village – its core was late medieval with 16th century additions. Originally a farmhouse, owned in the 17th century by the Jackson family, it was later subdivided into three cottages and acquired its name which is a local term for a block of dwellings and has no military connections. (Houses in School Lane, Wellesbourne. 1960s) (R. Smith Warwick County Planning Department Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/5)

The Barracks

The Barracks: Until demolition in the1960s The Barracks in School Road was one of the oldest buildings in the village – its core was late medieval with 16th century additions. Originally a farmhouse, owned in the 17th century by the Jackson family, it was later subdivided into three cottages and acquired its name which is a local term for a block of dwellings and has no military connections.The cottage at right angles to it was built in the old roadway which once led to a crossing of the river into Chapel Street. (Houses in School Lane, Wellesbourne 1960s) (R. Smith Warwick County Planning Department Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/2)

Willow Drive Farmhouse

Willow Drive Farmhouse

Willow Drive farmhouse: This was a farmhouse until its demolition in the 1960s when the Willowdene estate was built on some of its fields. It was owned by the Hopper family in the 17th and early 18th centuries and then became part of the estate of the Mordaunt family of Walton. (Houses in School Lane, Wellesbourne. 1960s) (R. Smith Warwick County Planning Department Warwickshire County Record Office PH 146/1)

More Images...